Dental crowns are used to cover the tooth to restore its strength, size, shape, and appearance. A dental crown is a tooth-shaped “cap” that is placed over a tooth. Dental crowns Greenville SC may be needed in the following situations:
- To make a cosmetic modification
- To protect a weak tooth from breaking, from decay, or to hold together parts of a cracked tooth
- To restore an already broken tooth or a severely worn-down tooth
- To cover and support a tooth with a large filling when there isn’t enough tooth left
- To cover severely discolored teeth or misshapen teeth
- Top a dental implant
Depending on the condition of your mouth, your dentist may perform several different types of procedures before a dental crown is placed.
Available Types of Dental Crowns
- Full Metal Crowns – Metal crowns typically include alloys with a high platinum or gold content or base metal alloys such as nickel-chromium and cobalt-chromium. They are very durable since they rarely break or chip and can endure the wear and tear of long-term biting and chewing. The only disadvantage of full metal crowns is its color which makes them suitable to be used only for molars near the back of the mouth.
- Stainless Steel – They are typically a temporary solution used to protect a tooth or filling while a permanent crown is being prepared. They are often used for children to protect a primary tooth from additional decay.
- Porcelain-Fused-to-Metal – This type of crown has a thin metal sub-structure to give them strength and can be matched with your tooth color. This is a solid option for back and front teeth application.
- All-Resin – Not as expensive as other types of crowns and they do not tend to fracture or wear down like porcelain-fused-to-metal crowns.
- All-Ceramic or All-Porcelain – Considered as the best cosmetic choice as they provide a natural color match to improve the aesthetics of your smile. They are also the perfect choice for those who have any metal allergies.
Am I Suitable for Dental Crowns Greenville SC?
Crown can be used on patients of all ages. You just have to let your dentist know if you are allergic to certain types of metals to determine what type is best for you. To learn more about dental crowns Greenville SC, contact Pelham Links Family and Cosmetic Dentistry today.