If you’re looking to perfect your smile, but want to have it through a non-invasive dental procedure, then a clear aligner might just be what you need. A dental clinic with Invisalign in Simpsonville, SC, can help you with just this.
So, what sets Invisalign apart from other forms of non-invasive dental procedures? Well, it’s the best-known and pioneering aligner product. Invisalign is the oldest brand to stand the test of time, which just goes to show the effectiveness and safety its products.
You can think of Invisalign as the Xerox® of copier machines. The popularity of the brand has become so dominant and successful that the products themselves become attached to the brand name.
The aligner is made from an innovative, and flexible, thermoplastic material called “SmartTrack.” Unlike other dental fittings like braces, Invisalign is much less noticeable because the material of the aligner is clear.
While not entirely invisible, they are almost completely transparent because of the special medical-grade clear plastic. Still questioning why Invisalign has become such a sought-after non-invasive dental solution?
What Can It Correct?
Invisalign can be used for multiple dental problems such as issues with biting, spacing, and crowding. According to Invisalign*, the aligner can be used to treat these dental issues:
- Under Bite
- Cross Bite
- Gap Teeth
- Open Bite
- Crowded Teeth
- Baby and Permanent Teeth
- Achieving Generally Straighter Teeth
How Effective Is it?
There’s been multiple studies to show just how effective Invisalign is. According to one such study:
- Invisalign’s clear aligner is “relatively successful in managing overbite.”
- It improved deep bites mainly by proclination of the mandibular incisors.
- Able to correct mild to moderate anterior open bites, primarily through incisor extrusion.
While indeed there has been research, these studies often have small sample sizes. Moreover, many of these studies didn’t include a control group to be used for comparison.
However, while this may be the case, there is research that shows how Invisalign is more effective than other clear aligners available in the market. To add to this, newer versions of Invisalign clear aligners since 2010 showed enhanced effectiveness by increasing the delivery of force upon the wearer’s teeth.
What Determines Invisalign’s Effectiveness
There are a handful of factors that can determine the effectiveness of Invisalign. For one, it’s crucial for the wearer to have the aligners on for at least 20 to 22 hours per day. These are the only times the wearer should be removing the aligners:
- Brushing and flossing teeth
- Eating or drinking
- Cleaning the aligners
It’s also important to know how to properly clean the aligners. If the water used is too hot, it can warp the plastic. This, of course, can alter the effectiveness of the product or could even deem it unusable.
Sex and age can also be a factor. According to a study of 30 volunteers, the movement of teeth may be affected by the age of the wearer.
What are the Pros and Cons of Invisalign?
To know whether Invisalign is the ideal dental solution for you, here are the pros and cons:
Pros of Invisalign
- Can be removed – unlike other dental solutions, you can choose to remove the aligner any time you want.
- Aesthetics – the aligners are virtually invisible and can only be noticed when a person really focuses on them. This is one of the main reasons why a lot of people prefer clear aligners over braces.
- You can still easily clean your teeth – because the aligner can be removed, you won’t have any problems with cleaning your teeth. And because there is ease with cleaning your teeth, bacteria lurking around your gums and teeth will be much less of a problem. This allows for better oral health than other dental solutions.
- Less potential problems – Unlike traditional braces that can have issues like a wire that could break or a bracket that can fall off, there won’t be any need for you to have a sudden emergency visit to your orthodontist with clear aligners.
Cons of Invisalign
- Requires Discipline – as mentioned earlier, in order for you to make the most out of your aligner, it must be worn for 20 to 22 hours a day. If you don’t think you’re up to that, Invisalign might not be ideal for you.
- Less effective for complex dental problems – Invisalign can work better for people whose teeth require certain kinds of movement. However, it might not be the most effective for more complex dental problems. Moreover, if you have bridgework on some of your teeth, clear aligners may not be ideal for you.
- Needs to be removed when you’re eating or drinking – It can be a hassle still needing to remove your aligner before you eat or drink. The reason for this is so no bacteria can grow along your gum line or teeth. Otherwise, it can lead to cavities. Invisalign needs to be removed before you drink because some drinks can cause staining.
Invisalign Treatments in Simpsonville, SC
Now that you know a lot more about Invisalign, you might be wondering how you can acquire them. You can acquire treatment with Invisalign if you’re from Simpsonville, SC. Pelham Links Family and Cosmetic Dentistry can offer you the treatment along with other dental solutions. To know more, visit their website today.
*Invisalign®, the Invisalign logo, and iTero®, among others, are trademarks and/ or service marks of Align Technology, Inc. or one of its subsidiaries or affiliated companies and may be registered in the U.S. and/or other countries.